Anyone who’s known me for more than 45 seconds knows that I love skincare. It’s become so therapeutic for me; I love keeping my skin healthy and testing and promoting new products. Recently I’ve learned. though, that simplicity can be best when it comes to skincare: all depending on skin type and skin condition (the current state of health of your skin.) The use of the wrong products can be detrimental for your skin–so my advice is to do lots of research. Ask a skincare representative at Ulta or Sephora (most of them really do know their stuff,) find out your skin type and condition, read the ingredients of products, and test things out until you find what you love–don’t always just trust celebrity hype or pretty packaging. All of this being said, I just got my skin analyzed and simplified my routine! I have dry skin in good condition, so these are products that are very versatile, but may not work for every skin type. So, without further ado (rambling,) here is my skincare routine! Italicized will be my all-time favorites!
- Kiehls Ultra Facial Cleanser ($10 for 2.5 oz) on dry skin, then I use a warm washcloth or a mini Foreo cleansing brush to remove it.
- Mario Badescu Aloe Vera Toner ($15 for 8 fl oz) Aloe is amazing for dry/sensitive skin and for redness, this is one of the most mild toners on the market!
- Drunk Elephant B-Hydra Gel ($52 for 1.69 fl oz) I cringed at the full size price as well, but received it free and I promise it’s worth it; you need one pump for your whole face! **if my skin is extra dry that day, or if I know that I plan to wear makeup, I layer that under Kiehls Ultra Facial Cream ($16 for 1 oz) This is another product where a little bit goes a very long way!
- SPF: Glossier Invisible Shield SPF 35 ($35 for 1 fl oz) or Bare Minerals Prep Step SPF 50 ($30 for 1 fl oz) THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP OF THE WHOLE ROUTINE!
- For an extra glowy finish on a no-makeup day, in between moisturizer and SPF i use Mario Badescu Herbal Hydrating Serum ($30 for 1 oz.)
- To take the day off I always use a gentle, yet deep cleaning foaming cleanser! I’ve been switching it up between CLE Cosmetics Oxygen Foaming Cleanser ($28 for 4.05 oz) and Bare Minerals Pure Plush Gentle Foaming Cleanser ($22 for 4.2 oz), washing with a warm washcloth.
- On normal nights, I follow this with the steps above (toner, hydra gel, and facial cream) minus the SPF.
- I finish with Kiehls Avocado Eye Treatment ($29 for .5 oz) and Origins GinZing Eye Treatment ($30 for .5 oz) This dynamic duo can be used morning or night!
- Due to my skin type, condition, and my skin’s great response to this simplified routine, I use “extras” 2-3 times a week, but not always on the same night. “Extras” include masks, serums, oils, exfoliants, and spot treatments for blemishes. So, my favorites/most used are:
- MASKS: Origins Re-texturizing Rose Clay Mask ($26 for 3.4 fl oz), Glossier Mega Greens Galaxy Pack ($22 for 3 oz), Herbivore Brightening Enzyme Mask ($48 for 2.3 oz), Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber Detox Mask ($52 for 5 oz) **tip: use this one as a sleeping mask!, and TonyMoly Sheet Masks.
- SERUMS: Glossier Super Pure ($28 for .5 oz), Origins Mega Bright Dark Spot Correcting Serum ($58 for 1 fl oz), Bare Minerals Blemish Remedy ($42 for 1 fl oz)
- OILS: Bare Minerals Eternalixir ($55 for 1 fl oz), Herbivore Orchid Youth-Preserving Oil ($64 for 1.7 fl oz)
- SPOT TREATMENT: Origins Super Spot Remover ($16 for .3 fl oz) is the ONLY spot treatment that’s ever worked for me. It works overnight to kill blemishes and reduce redness.
- EXFOLIANTS: TheOrdinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% ($6.50 for 1 fl oz), Mario Badescu Strawberry Scrub ($15 for 4 oz), Clinique 7 Day Scrub Cream ($21 for 3.4 oz)
*DISCLAIMER: some of these higher end, more expensive products WERE received for PR/testing, but I would never recommend a product I didn’t love! And that’s all folks!